Wednesday, March 18, 2015

Speaking on Sustainable Supply Chains for Sustainable Cities in Berlin

For the past 3 days I have been immensely enjoying being at Europe's largest physics conference. The venue at the Technical University of Berlin has been excellent and today I had the pleasure of speaking on the Design of Sustainable Supply Chains for Sustainable Cities:
http://www.dpg-verhandlungen.de/year/2015/conference/berlin/part/agjdpg/session/5/contribution/4

I gave an overview of some of the applications of supply chains that we have investigated from electric power ones to food supply chains and then focused on the work described in a paper just published, with the same title as my talk,  in Environment & Planning B 42(1): (2015) pp 40-57.



http://supernet.isenberg.umass.edu/visuals/Berlin_Sustainable_Cities_Nagurney_Talk.pdf
I have enjoyed my interactions with the physicists from Dirk Helbing to Luis Bettencourt and it was great to see Duncan Watts, as well, although he and I are not physicists. I did mention at my talk this morning that I am married to a PhD in physics so I am part of the family!

I was hoping to see Angela Merkel here since she has a PhD in physics but I suspect that she was preoccupied with other matters.

The session that my invited talk was part of was perfect since it was on sustainability and was part of a symposium:
http://www.dpg-physik.de/dpg/gliederung/fv/soe/berlin2015.pdf

I would like to thank the organizers for a terrific conference - a perfect way in which to spend my spring break.