Sunday, June 29, 2014

Real Men Push Strollers - At Least in Sweden They Do

Sweden is one of the most egalitarian societies in the world and, perhaps, that is another reason why I so much enjoy living in Sweden whenever I have an opportunity to.  I have been lucky to hold a Distinguished Visiting Professorship at the Royal Institute of Technology (KTH) in Stockholm, and am now in my third year as a Visiting Professor at the School of Business, Economics and Law at the University of Gothenburg. The latter commitment involves a multiple weeks in residence, which I thoroughly enjoy.

Sweden has generous parental leave policies, among other policies, that support both men and women. And my male colleagues at the university enjoy taking parental leaves and are very serious about them. This makes for a wonderful professional and personal climate.

Over the past several days, while walking to lunch in beautiful Gothenburg, or just doing errands, I decided to take photos of men pushing strollers because I love this aspect of Swedish culture.


Men, women, and children all benefit from such a supportive set of governmental policies!