Sunday, January 15, 2012

Humanitarian Logistics and Preparing for the Next Global Disaster

My Op-Ed piece, Preparing for the Next Global Disaster, appears in today's Sunday Republican newspaper as part of the Viewpoint series.

In the article, which is available online, I argue for more education on humanitarian logistics in all aspects of disaster management from preparedness and mitigation to recovery and reconstruction.

The article was written to mark the second anniversary of the devastating earthquake in Haiti and to recognize the disasters that have befallen our area of Massachusetts in the past year. The number of disasters is growing as well as the number of people affected by them.

I start teaching my new course on the subject, Humanitarian Logistics and Healthcare, on January 24 at the Isenberg School of Management. This is a truly unique course and I have spent weeks preparing the lectures and course materials.